Sunday, February 3, 2013

Game pitch for IGF

    The semester has started and I just remembered (thinking about my last semester grades) that writing here is really important. So, talking about this semester we, the cohort 3, have to work on a game for almost one year and present it to the IGF mostly by the end of this year. 
   
       For this we were supposed to pitch a game idea. Everyone in the cohort 3 had to participate. We were given a week to polish our game ideas (as we were supposed to be thinking about our game idea since the first semester). I, frankly didn't have any idea. I did not want to pitch my thesis game idea of the first semester. I wanted to come up with a novel concept. I really was thinking for the big thing- the IGF.
  
    I did a lot of research on what games go into IGF and which ones really win. The whole week I just did that and was trying to think about getting a new idea, IGF-like idea. New ideas don't just pop up in your brains. They neither come when you try to copy other game ideas. As Jonathan Blow says "Let me take my deepest vulnerabilities and put it in a game". And like Tracy Fullerton says "game ideas come when you try to relate them to your own life". 
   
    It was Monday 9:00 PM and I was still not sure about what to do. I asked my classmates if I can join their group, as participation was mandatory. But deep down I didn't feel like getting into someone else' idea just because they were not mine. I decided that however bad I suck I will be presenting my own pitch the next day. The only problem was that I didn't have any thing to present.

     Keeping Jonathan blow and Tracy Fullerton in mind, I knew its inside me and I just have to take it out. I tried to think about my deepest vulnerabilities and then and there my whole game (Footprints) was right infront of me. I worked around the whole night to get it right, to eliminate all the possible flaws of the game idea. It was 5 AM when I decided to sleep.
   
     Wise men have said "Don't sleep for 2 hours when you have a presentation the next day". But I am wiser. I got up at 7 AM and started making my Prezi slides. Everything was right in time and place, except me. I felt miserable and starting doubting this whole thing and where it was going. I couraged-up and presented my game idea. 


I just have one word to say on how my presentation was- DISASTROUS. Then and there I knew that I just ruined the whole thing. 

My hidden intentions behind writing this post really detailed must be to gain some sympathy. I just know that I tried really hard to put my idea in front of the audience, regardless.




No comments:

Post a Comment