Friday, April 5, 2013

Carrying forward with Unity and Prep for Alpha

As a team we have decided that we are going to use Unity for the game. From last post about "Do and Don't at GDC" I want to elaborate a little more about what the Industry looks in for a entry level programmer.

  So, after talking to professionals from different game companies made me really clear of what I have to do for the next one year to get into the gaming industry. First thing's first-Depth is more important than breadth. Professionals don't want you to have all the knowledge of the all the game engines. They don't even want you to know the technologies they work on. A reason why general CS majors also get game dev. jobs. But, what they really want is a Do-er. A problem solver. In case you get stuck somewhere they want you to solve or find a way of getting over that problem. Period. You be a problem solver and you will never be jobless, anytime.

Do what you do well. If you are a game tester and you want to change to game dev. then just excel at what you do. Get recognized for doing awesome work and you will get what you want. That is the way to do it. This doesn't apply to me but something to remember for later. 


At GDC play, I played some really good looking games and novel games. After playing one game ( I don't remember the name of the game), I talked to the developer of that game. The very first answer to my very first question baffled me. That game was made in Unity. 

So, all my misunderstanding about using Unity for my thesis game just got cleared. Two very important things got addressed -

  1. Professionals don't care if you do your thesis game in Unity.
  2. Unity games can look really beautiful.


 So, based on what I learnt at GDC I want to go for Unity without any doubts. Alpha is approaching and we need to start preparing for that, so that we can present the game well to the industry professionals at EAE Fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment