Friday, April 5, 2013

Do and Don't at GDC

GDC was fun. I learnt a lot from the game developers whom I met at GDC. I had taken an expo pass which was valid only on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday giving me access only to GDC pavilion and GDC play and the last day Career Seminar.

   I found Career seminars to be really useful. I learnt how to do good Resume and Covers. I learnt about what the recruiters and the company pros look at while interviewing a candidate. I also learnt a lot of other things which were not related to me but otherwise good knowledge.

At expo pavilion I met my favorite game companies like, Riot games, ArenaNet and Ubisoft. My goal was to meet people and ask them for jobs or for tips which will hep me get into the game industry. A lot of pros personally gave me resume advice and answered "how to get entry level jobs?" questions. 

 One of the most amazing experience was of talking to Bethesda's lead engineer Brett Douville whom I met at the Career Seminar. He told me that more than having knowledge of different engines, it helps to have knowledge of just one engine in greater depths. That, right there cleared my mind and after that I didn't bother about whether to use Unity or UDK for my thesis games. More on that later. But, I was really pleased to meet this man. We did talk about a lot of other things. I also met Mike Acton, a lead engineer at Insomniac. One thing is for sure- Gamers are the most awesome people.

So, My list of Do's and Dont's at GDC(It's small but precise)-

Do:
 Go for Bootcamps and Tutorials. You think they are useless but they are NOT.
 Open up and talk to anyone you see near you. Trust me you will get something out of it. If nothing   else you will definitely get enlightened.
 Go to the companies and people for their advice on your resume, portfolio.
 Visit Riot games. Those people and they way they talk will blow your mind.

Don't:
 Hesitate to talk.
Go to a company or a pro and ask them for a job or an interview.
Forget to attend Career seminar. You think you don't need it but you DO.
Lose your pass :P I am serious.




No comments:

Post a Comment